Church Business Operations Manager
Position Time Requirements: Part-time (1240 hours a year) broken out in the following ways:
- 28 hours per week; 4 days a work week (Tuesday through Friday) during program year
- 12 hours per week; 3 days a work week (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) during the summer months
- 2 weeks (equivalent of 50 hours) unpaid time off each year
Reports to: The Rector of the parish.
- Manage the church office.
- Offer a knowledgeable presence during office hours.
- Facilitate church communication networks: bulletins, phones, etc.
- Manage office policy enforcement: building use, bulletin boards, mailboxes, flyers, etc.
- Manage the flow of supplies.
- Facilitate and schedule building usage in conjunction with staff and relevant committee chairs.
- Maintain and communicate the master church calendar.
- Update the Bulletin Boards and alert volunteers to changes in conjunction with the Outreach and ministry leaders.
- Type and print all weekly & special bulletins, including the Lenten and Advent booklets:
- Publish the quarterly newsletter
- Send out weekly e-mail blasts
- Update the church website and other social media in conjunction with staff and volunteers as requested by the Rector
- Order all office and janitorial supplies for the church.
- Answer phones and greets visitors.
- Complete special projects as directed by Rector and/or Vestry.
- Develop a support team of regular office volunteers.
- Work with the church Wardens, Treasurer and Stewardship Committee Chair to facilitate the day‑to‑day business of fiscal responsibility. Tasks include:
- Organize the compensation of employees for the hours that they have worked. This may include keeping totals for hours worked by employees, rates of pay and managing payments to employees.
- Work with the payroll service to ensure proper compensation of staff
- Maintain subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balance subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries.
- Maintain general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
- Balance general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Maintain historical records by filing documents.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Compile with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Support the Stewardship committee by tracking pledges, entering information into church management system and preparing and mailing the June & December pledge statements.
- Oversee the payment of bills, reimbursements, and the issuing of checks.
- Record donations to and maintain the records of various permanent funds such as Music, Youth Ministry, etc.
- Prepare expense vouchers and checks for approval by Wardens or Treasurer.
- Responsible for overseeing proper records for staff vacation days, raises, and benefits.
- Be a friendly interface between the parish and visitors/community members.
- Be a team player.
- Work closely and collaboratively with parish staff members and lay leaders.
- Be disciplined and diligent with time management.
- Deliberate and meaningful conversations are expected one-on-one with the Rector on a regular basis.
- Experience in accounting or bookkeeping.
- Experience in overseeing office operations.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is a plus.
Please send cover letter, resume and list of references to the Rev. Joanna Hollis at firstname.lastname@example.org